Saturday, October 20, 2012

Summer in the Park - Free Jelly Roll Pattern

Well, it seems like it's been a long time between drinks but really it's only been a fortnight.  Not a very exciting fortnight either - all I have been doing it is cleaning out cupboards and ruthlessly culling the contents of my house.  But that aside, I have managed to achieve a finish and I have written another free pattern for you - I finally finished stitching the binding on my Summer in the Park quilt which I have renamed Summer at the Beach.


I put the last stitches in the binding on Wednesday night and Thursday after kindy we trotted down to Semaphore to photograph the quilt hanging over the jetty (this was really an elaborate ruse for me to get my hands on an ice-cream from my favourite ice-cream parlour on Semaphore Road - but that's just between us).


Here it is hanging over Semaphore jetty with the Palais in the background.  I really loved making this quilt - you just sew strips together like a demon and and then with some clever cutting you make blocks and in no time you have a quilt top sewn together!

This quilt was inspired by the Summer in the Park video tutorial by the Missouri Star Quilt Company. But as with Briar Rose I didn't want to just start sewing and not know how much fabric I would need or how big a quilt I would get out of one jelly roll, so I have written a pattern for it.  The pattern is again fully supported by CAD diagrams and detailed instructions and you can download it from Google Docs by clicking here or by clicking on the photograph on the right hand side bar.



Mum quilted it for me using the Bountiful Feathers pantograph by Lorien Quilting.  It really suited the feather or wave print in the Salt Air fabrics.


Thanks again to everyone at the Missouri Star Quilt Company for endorsing my pattern.  It is very generous and I really appreciate your support.  You can view the original you tube video here.....



You can also visit the Missouri Star website by clicking  here.

I'm linking up with Quilt Story, Finish it up Friday, Can I get a Whoop Whoop and Show off Friday

Have a fabulous week everyone!

34 comments:

  1. Fabulous Shontelle. Well done to you. I won't tell about the ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shontelle . You did a super job on this. Love the photo shoot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another winner! What a gorgeous quilt and a lovely setting for the photos. However, I think you ought to hang the quilt on the rail outside the Methodist Church as well - just in case the neighbours feel they are missing out this time! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos Shonny, and I love the new name! Suits the whole quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely quilt! Makes me want to go buy some new jelly rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. I have a stack of Salt Air in my cabinet, just for me, waiting on me to decide on a pattern. I love what you've done with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great quilt! I have a Jelly roll that I think this kind of pattern would be perfect for! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's beautiful, and I have a jelly roll of Salt Air I've been searching for a good pattern for - this may be it!! Whoop whoop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE that quilt. Thanks for the link. I have some jelly rolls to use up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Shontelle -- very pretty ! I bought one of the strip quilt templates a while back -- it will work perfect for this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a beautiful quilt. Thank you for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is beautiful! I love it! Thanks for sharing the video and the pattern! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful quilt!

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a pretty quilt and the perfect setting for pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the tutorial--beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the way you put this together. I always love the look of "diamond-looking" patterns like this, but I'm not a fan of traditional "string quilt" construction methods - so this is perfect. Awesome tutorial. And the colors & quilting on this one are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so glad you wrote up this pattern because I saw the video first and thought I'd prefer written instructions:) I've got a jelly roll of Simply Color destined for this pattern now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for this pattern. I just saw the method on u-tube when looking for an idea for a signature quilt. Then I found your site with the pattern. I think this will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm preparing myself to sew my first quilt ever and I think I'll decide to use your pattern :) It's beautiful! Thanks a lot!!! Renia

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice information! I am intimidated by the excellence of information. There are a lot of high-quality funds here. I am sure I will visit this site again soon.
    I know something information,to know you can click here
    Kitchens Gold Coast
    Gold Coast Kitchens

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the easy-to-follow pattern. I saw the MSQC video, but I was reluctant to try to make the quilt with no instructions. Now, I'm ready the start!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for e inspiration. I'm about to begin this quilt. If I press all the seams toward the darker fabric will my seams still nest? Or will they be bumpy? I'm having trouble visualizing this part?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Missouri star has a written pattern for this on their website beyond the tutorial. Your pattern while lovely is really copyright infringement

    ReplyDelete
  24. Missouri star has a written pattern for this on their website beyond the tutorial. Your pattern while lovely is really copyright infringement

    ReplyDelete
  25. Used your pattern to make a surprise quilt for my parents. Will be bringing it to them when I go to visit in April. Thanks so much for the inspiration! Here is a link to a photo of my quilt: https://goo.gl/photos/bqV2LfB5jx5wa1PfA

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful quilt. Thanks for making it more easy to make one myself.
    Quilters are the greatest.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I used to live in Adelaide, and I know that Ice Cream shop! This quilt is lovely. I'm giving it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Easily, the article is actually the best topic on this registry related issue. I fit in with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your next updates. Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantasti c lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates.
    What do CBD gummies do?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you - I am making this from yard goods, not a jelly roll and was totally at sea about yardage. Thanks again. If ever in Chicago please bring some quilts - we have a lovely little lake to take pictures by.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you popped by, your comments really make my day.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...